Calling All Poets and Poetry Enthusiasts in San Mateo County
On April 23, 2013, The San Mateo County Board of Supervisors approved the establishment of the honorary post of San Mateo County Poet Laureate to elevate poetry into the consciousness of San Mateo County residents and to help celebrate the literary arts.
The Poet Laureate will be an honorary two-year position. During that term, the Poet Laureate will act as ambassador and advocate for poetry, literature and the arts. It is expected that the Poet Laureate will contribute to San Mateo County’s poetry and literary legacy through public readings and participation in civic events. The Poet Laureate also will propose and lead a community project.
- The Poet Laureate must be 18 years or older.
- The Poet Laureate will be available to serve a two-year term, commencing in October 2013.
- The Poet Laureate will be a San Mateo County resident of at least three years who has been published or recognized for poetry and literary contributions. The number and quality of published works will be taken into account in our selection process.
- The Poet Laureate will have demonstrated a commitment to and passion for poetry and embraces the opportunity to engage in community service to make poetry more accessible and available.
- The Poet Laureate must have a willingness to serve as an ambassador for San Mateo County and to engage the citizens of San Mateo County in poetry at public events through public readings, workshops, visiting schools and other means.
- The Poet Laureate must be available to travel throughout San Mateo County.
- The Poet Laureate will represent San Mateo County and the art of poetry through outreach activities related to poetry.
- The Poet Laureate will present appropriate works at a minimum of four selected County-sponsored events during each year, including events involving schools and youth.
- The Poet Laureate will write a commemorative poem about San Mateo County or its environs.
- The Poet Laureate will open the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors meetings with a poem every quarter.
Both nominations and self-nominations will be considered for the honorary post of San Mateo County Poet Laureate. Please submit the nomination form, along with supporting documents. The deadline is 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 31, 2013.
Know a great poet? Help us reach our San Mateo County poets by getting the word out. Freely download, copy, print and distribute the flyer.